CAPBAK/MSW Ver. 3.2
Main Features and Characteristics
© Copyright 1999-2006 by Software Research, Inc.
This build of CAPBAK/MSW for Windows 98/NT/XP, Ver. 3.2 is intended to
replace earlier Ver. 3.1 and Ver. 2.6 releases.
Main features of this release include:
- New license key processing (simpler and more reliable and less intrusive).
- TrueTime Mode revisions to enhance usefulness and repair some unreliabilities.
- ObjectMode revisions to enhance usefulness and repair some unreliabilities (see below).
- Slight modifications of the default settings for the Function Keys to compensate for known
incompatibilities in Windows 98/NT/XP.
- Inclusion of the *pdf and *ps versions of the [default] function Keys overlay.
- Modification of the QuickStart document (supplied in *pdf and *ps format).
Main features of this release does not include:
- Combo boxes and text fields in some cases are recorded and played in True-Time Mode only (see below).
- Scroll bars are recorded and played in True-Time Mode only.
Recommended operation modes:
- We recommend use of screen and/or screen fragment capture and synchronization only
on with your '98, NT or XP machine set to the 256-color settings.
Other color settings may not work reliably and some tests that should PASS may FAIL.
- Some applications on Windows 98/NT/XP may interfere with the ALT+CTRL+F1 hotkey default.
In fact, some applications may respond to this hotkey as if only the F1 key were pushed; these
applications typically provide user-help with the F1 key.
While not specifically incorrect this behavior may be confusing and difficult to use.
If the application you are testing uses F1 as a help key you may wish to re-set your
hotkey to ALT+CTRL+F11.
Capture and replay of activities by CAPBAK/MSW Ver. 3.2 is accomplished primarily through use of the
A design feature of CAPBAK/MSW Ver. 3.2 is to assure 100% object mode capture and replay for "normal"
kinds of visible objects, such that 99% of applications will be recordable in ObjectMode.
However, if an implementation uses other forms of manipulation then CAPBAK/MSW Ver. 3.2 will revert
to capture and replay in the native TrueTime mode.
The goal is to capture any test in a way that maximizes the success of playback without
intervening modification of the keysave file.